What are non-economic damages?
Non-economic damages include things such as loss of counsel, mental and emotional anguish or loss of consortium. Many other harms qualify as non-economic damages such as, permanent disability, trauma, disfigurement, and other monetary losses.
Non-economic damages are not easily quantified in dollar amounts. These damages are distributed to families of victims who have died or to severely injured victims. In Texas, there is a cap on
non-economic damages in wrongful death medical malpractice lawsuits. The cap varies depending on several factors, including the number of defendants being sued.
Non-economic damages differ from economic damages, which include medical bills, lost wages and loss of future income.
Other Wrongful Death FAQs:
- Am I able to recover medical expenses in my wrongful death lawsuit?
- Are a wrongful death claim and a survival claim the same thing?
- Are all costs associated with a wrongful death lawsuit award/settlement flexible?
- Are there different factors at play that may impact how much I could be awarded in a wrongful death case?
- Can a wrongful death action be filed for an unborn baby?
- Can anyone file a wrongful death lawsuit? Or are there only specific people that may do so?
- If I file a wrongful claim in the death of my husband, what does an attorney need to prove on my behalf to allow me to get compensation?
- My sister was recently killed in an accident at her workplace that was caused by her employer not providing her with the proper safety training or equipment. Can I file a wrongful death lawsuit?
- Can punitive damages be awarded in wrongful death lawsuits?
- Do I need to hire an attorney to handle a wrongful death lawsuit?
- Does a settlement in a wrongful death lawsuit have to be shared with all relatives?
- Does a wrongful death lawsuit have to be filed immediately after a death? Or is there a window of time allowed?
- How are damages determined in a wrongful death lawsuit?
- How does Texas law define parents when it comes to filing a wrongful death claim/survival claim?
- How is economic loss calculated in a wrongful death lawsuit?
- How is non-economic loss calculated in a wrongful death lawsuit?
- How much time do I have to file a wrongful death claim in Texas?
- I am filing a wrongful death lawsuit and I am wondering if there is a cap on how much I am able to receive in damages/settlement in Texas?
- I am not legally married but lived with my deceased partner for over 15 years. My spouse was killed in a big rig accident. Can I file a wrongful death claim?
- I have been advised to file a wrongful death lawsuit as a result of my husband being killed at work by a colleague. What compensation may I be eligible for in Texas?
- If every state has a wrongful death statute, are they all the same?
- If I do file a wrongful death claim in Texas, what do I need to prove to possibly get compensation?
- If I file a wrongful death lawsuit in Texas, what compensation is available to me?
- If I file a wrongful death lawsuit, what do I have to prove to be eligible for compensation?
- If I file a wrongful death lawsuit, what do I need to prove for a successful claim?
- If someone I know dies, do I file a civil or a criminal lawsuit?
- Is a survival claim and a wrongful death claim the same thing?
- Is a Texas wrongful death claim different from a wrongful death claim filed in New Mexico or another state?
- Is there a limit to the number of individuals who may file a wrongful death lawsuit?
- Is there a statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death claim in Texas?
- Is there a statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death claim?
- My brother was killed in an accident where the other driver was texting. I want to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Can I do that in Texas?
- My husband died as a result of medical negligence. Does Texas have a cap on damages in wrongful death lawsuits as a result of medical malpractice?
- My sister was killed in a car accident caused by a drunk driver. Can I file a wrongful death lawsuit?
- My son was killed in an accident involving a drunk driver. He never had a job. If I file a wrongful death lawsuit, will it be thrown out because he never held a job?
- What are non-economic damages in relation to a wrongful death lawsuit?
- What are non-economic damages?
- What are survival claims?
- What are the common causes of a wrongful death?
- What difference does it make to a possible wrongful death lawsuit if there is more than one named defendant?
- What happens if someone dies before they have a chance to file a personal injury lawsuit?
- What happens to my award if there is more than one named defendant in my wrongful death lawsuit?
- What happens when there are multiple plaintiffs filing a wrongful death lawsuit?
- What is a survival claim?
- What is the concept behind a wrongful death lawsuit?
- What is the definition of a spouse under Texas law for the purposes of a wrongful death claim?
- What law do the courts in Texas follow in establishing a wrongful death claim?
- What types of damages are awarded in a wrongful death lawsuit?
- When someone files a wrongful death claim in Texas, what compensation may they receive?
- Who can sue for compensation in a wrongful death case?