Skip to content

Our son died before we were able to bring a personal injury lawsuit after a truck accident. Does that mean we cannot file a lawsuit?

Because your son died before you were able to file a personal injury lawsuit, you will not be able to file that lawsuit. However, you instead may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit.

A wrongful death lawsuit compensates the survivors.

If your family member passed away as a result of injuries from a vehicle accident involving negligence, then a family representative or estate heirs may be able to launch a wrongful death lawsuit.

If your family member died as a result of other causes, then the estate representative can file a personal injury lawsuit on behalf of the victim.

Furthermore, if your son was conscious and experiencing pain or other complications prior to his death, pain and suffering compensation may be awarded due to the injuries that eventually resulted in his death.

Each case is different and discussing your situation with an experienced wrongful death lawyer is the first step.

Other Wrongful Death FAQs: