Skip to content

I was a passenger in a car, driven by my husband, which was involved in a collision with a semi. The police deemed my husband to be partially responsible for the collision for running a red light. My child is injured and I need surgery. What are my rights?

As an injured passenger, one may be able to get compensation from one’s spouse’s insurance company and possibly the trucking firm’s insurance company, depending on how liability for the accident is apportioned.

It is difficult to sue a family member or relative. However, it may be the only way for an injured person to get money from their spouse’s insurance. Additionally, one’s child may also have to sue his or her parent to obtain compensation.

These are difficult cases and it is best to consult with an experienced truck accident attorney who is able to advise one of one’s rights and how to proceed to file a lawsuit.

Other Truck Accident FAQs

Holding Wrongdoers Accountable

Learn more about car insurance in Texas and what you can do to avoid common accident claim mistakes with these free resources.


Brooks Schuelke was a huge asset. I wholeheartedly endorse Mr.Schuelke without a moment's hesitation.

-Sara Hickman