There is quite a significant difference between an underinsured driver and an uninsured driver.
An underinsured driver is an individual who does have some form of insurance, but not enough to cover damages and losses they have caused as a result of an accident. For example, if the driver caused an accident and they had the minimum required injury coverage in Texas, which is up to $60,000, but the accident resulted in $80,000 worth of damages, that driver is underinsured.
On the other hand, an uninsured driver has no insurance whatsoever. Therefore, they have no insurance to provide coverage for damages and loses.
Other Texas Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage Claim FAQs:
- Are there minimum insurance requirements in Texas?
- Do I have to have uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance?
- Do I need to buy vehicle insurance in Texas?
- Do I need uninsured motorist coverage?
- Does every driver in Texas have insurance?
- Does my insurance company automatically pay my claim if I file a UM/UIM claim?
- How many uninsured/underinsured motorists are there in Texas?
- I got a letter from an insurance company talking about a credit they are entitled to for other payments. What are they talking about?
- I was involved in a car accident recently and was injured. I do not have vehicle insurance. Am I still able to file a claim?
- I’m a good driver. Do I need insurance?
- If I am injured by a hit-and-run driver without insurance or low insurance limits, what happens?
- Is uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance expensive?
- My best friend has uninsured/underinsured coverage and says I should get it. What does that mean?
- My car insurance premiums are pretty high. How does an insurance company decide what it is going to charge me?
- There is quite a significant difference between an underinsured driver and an uninsured driver.
- What is the difference between an uninsured motorist and an underinsured motorist?
- What is Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?
- Who does the insurance policies cover?
- Why does it matter if I do not have enough insurance?
- Why is an accident with an uninsured driver a big problem?