Skip to content

My best friend has uninsured/underinsured coverage and says I should get it. What does that mean?

Uninsured/underinsured (UM/UIM) motorist insurance is one of the most important types of insurance you can buy. Uninsured/underinsured coverage is insurance that covers injuries and losses as the result of a vehicle collision caused by a driver that does not have insurance or has too little insurance to cover all losses.

This kind of coverage is beneficial because it helps you and your family deal with medical expenses if the at fault driver is underinsured or has no insurance at all. Under Texas law you are not required to buy uninsured/underinsured coverage; however, insurance carriers are required to offer it to you. UM/UIM is a wise purchase to help protect you in case of a car accident.

Other Texas Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage Claim FAQs: