That kind of scenario can be confusing. The insurance company gets a credit if you file a personal injury protection or medical payment claim. So, if your UM/UIM claim is worth $20,000 and the insurance company has paid out $5,000 on your personal injury protection claim, they have a credit of $5,000, but still owe you $15,000.
However, if your claim exceeds the limit of your policy, there is an exception. For example, if your claim was worth $90,000 but your coverage was only for $30,000, the insurance company still pays the full amount of your coverage ($30,000), regardless if they paid any amount for a personal injury protection or medical payment claim.
Other Texas Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage Claim FAQs:
- Are there minimum insurance requirements in Texas?
- Do I have to have uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance?
- Do I need to buy vehicle insurance in Texas?
- Do I need uninsured motorist coverage?
- Does every driver in Texas have insurance?
- Does my insurance company automatically pay my claim if I file a UM/UIM claim?
- How many uninsured/underinsured motorists are there in Texas?
- I got a letter from an insurance company talking about a credit they are entitled to for other payments. What are they talking about?
- I was involved in a car accident recently and was injured. I do not have vehicle insurance. Am I still able to file a claim?
- I’m a good driver. Do I need insurance?
- If I am injured by a hit-and-run driver without insurance or low insurance limits, what happens?
- Is uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance expensive?
- My best friend has uninsured/underinsured coverage and says I should get it. What does that mean?
- My car insurance premiums are pretty high. How does an insurance company decide what it is going to charge me?
- There is quite a significant difference between an underinsured driver and an uninsured driver.
- What is the difference between an uninsured motorist and an underinsured motorist?
- What is Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?
- Who does the insurance policies cover?
- Why does it matter if I do not have enough insurance?
- Why is an accident with an uninsured driver a big problem?