How many uninsured/underinsured motorists are there in Texas?
Research indicates that about 13 to 17 percent of Texas drivers don’t carry any insurance. The uninsured part of the question isn’t difficult.
The second question is more complex, because you don’t know whether a person is underinsured until you know the amount of harm they cause. A person with the Texas minimum limits of $30,000 of insurance might not be uninsured in a very small wreck, but he or she will be significantly uninsured in a more serious wreck. Most drivers who have insurance have the minimum limit of $30,000 that is required by law. In most wrecks that involve a hospital visit or any significant follow-up care, that insurance won’t be enough to cover the damages. You can safely estimate that almost fifty percent of Texas drivers are underinsured for even a moderate wreck.
Other related FAQs
- Are there minimum insurance requirements in Texas?
- Do I have to have uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance?
- Do I need to buy vehicle insurance in Texas?
- Do I need uninsured motorist coverage?
- Does every driver in Texas have insurance?
- Does my insurance company automatically pay my claim if I file a UM/UIM claim?
- How many uninsured/underinsured motorists are there in Texas?
- I got a letter from an insurance company talking about a credit they are entitled to for other payments. What are they talking about?
- I was involved in a car accident recently and was injured. I do not have vehicle insurance. Am I still able to file a claim?
- I’m a good driver. Do I need insurance?
- If I am injured by a hit-and-run driver without insurance or low insurance limits, what happens?
- Is uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance expensive?
- My best friend has uninsured/underinsured coverage and says I should get it. What does that mean?
- My car insurance premiums are pretty high. How does an insurance company decide what it is going to charge me?
- There is quite a significant difference between an underinsured driver and an uninsured driver.
- What is the difference between an uninsured motorist and an underinsured motorist?
- What is Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?
- Who does the insurance policies cover?
- Why does it matter if I do not have enough insurance?
- Why is an accident with an uninsured driver a big problem?