Yes, there are minimum insurance requirements in Texas. The minimum amount is $30,000 per person and up to $60,000 per wreck. That means every driver is supposed to carry an insurance policy that pays out an injured person up to the amount of $30,000.If passengers in the vehicle are injured, they would be paid up to $60,000 divided among all passengers in the vehicle.
If you were seriously injured and facing a very long recovery period, a portion of $60,000 is not enough to handle all the medical, rehabilitation and drug expenses. Alternatively, if you were catastrophically injured and needed around-the-clock medical care for the rest of your life, the small portion you would get from a division of funds would not be sufficient.
The minimum is often not enough insurance to cover losses in less severe cases. For example, one trip to the emergency room can cost more than $30,000, leaving no recovery for any other losses. Driving without adequate vehicle insurance is not only illegal, it is also risky.
Other Texas Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage Claim FAQs:
- Are there minimum insurance requirements in Texas?
- Do I have to have uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance?
- Do I need to buy vehicle insurance in Texas?
- Do I need uninsured motorist coverage?
- Does every driver in Texas have insurance?
- Does my insurance company automatically pay my claim if I file a UM/UIM claim?
- How many uninsured/underinsured motorists are there in Texas?
- I got a letter from an insurance company talking about a credit they are entitled to for other payments. What are they talking about?
- I was involved in a car accident recently and was injured. I do not have vehicle insurance. Am I still able to file a claim?
- I’m a good driver. Do I need insurance?
- If I am injured by a hit-and-run driver without insurance or low insurance limits, what happens?
- Is uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance expensive?
- My best friend has uninsured/underinsured coverage and says I should get it. What does that mean?
- My car insurance premiums are pretty high. How does an insurance company decide what it is going to charge me?
- There is quite a significant difference between an underinsured driver and an uninsured driver.
- What is the difference between an uninsured motorist and an underinsured motorist?
- What is Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?
- Who does the insurance policies cover?
- Why does it matter if I do not have enough insurance?
- Why is an accident with an uninsured driver a big problem?