The type of compensation that may be sought in each case is individual to each case and thus there is no set category or amount a plaintiff is eligible to receive. The severity of a plaintiff’s injuries, what type of insurance is in play at the time of the accident and what actions the defendant and plaintiff made prior to the accident are all factored into determining the kind and amount of compensation awarded.
In general, a plaintiff may receive compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of income/wages and loss of future income/wages
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses
In order to get a general idea of what costs you may be able to recover by filing a claim, an attorney is usually able to predict a rough amount based on the strength of the plaintiff’s case. In some instances factors independent of the accident may make a difference in the outcome of your case. Your attorney discusses those with you when you go for a first, free consultation.
Other Personal Injury FAQs:
- Are catastrophic injury cases different than personal injury lawsuits?
- Can I handle my personal injury claim without a lawyer?
- Can I wait to contact a personal injury lawyer?
- How does a victim of a catastrophic injury deal with insurance companies?
- How long does it take to get my case settled?
- How long does it take to get results in a catastrophic injury cases?
- I don’t have a lot of money after my accident how am I going to afford an attorney?
- I don’t have a lot of money and work at a low paying job. How can I possibly afford to hire a personal injury lawyer?
- I was in a bad car accident and sustained serious injuries. Can an attorney help me get compensation for my medical bills?
- Should I accept the settlement offer from the insurance company after my accident?
- What am I supposed to do after being involved in an accident and I am badly injured?
- What are catastrophic injuries?
- What are special and general damages?
- What is a personal injury lawyer and why would I need one?
- What is the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury case in Texas?
- What kind of compensation am I eligible to receive by filing a personal injury claim?
- What kinds of accidents cause catastrophic injuries?
- What kinds of damages am I eligible for after an accident?
- What kinds of expenses could I claim after being injured in an accident?