In Texas, the statute of limitations for filing a person injury claim is 2 years from the date the injury happened. If you do not file a lawsuit before that date, you lose any right to file a legal action. That said, there are many exceptions to the deadline. In some cases, you must present a claim within a few months of the event. It is critical that you talk to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible so you do not miss those dates.
Contact a lawyer even if you think you have missed the statute of limitations. In some cases, lawyers are able to use legal strategies and arguments to extend the limitations period so that you may still be able to bring your claim.
Other Personal Injury FAQs:
- Are catastrophic injury cases different than personal injury lawsuits?
- Can I handle my personal injury claim without a lawyer?
- Can I wait to contact a personal injury lawyer?
- How does a victim of a catastrophic injury deal with insurance companies?
- How long does it take to get my case settled?
- How long does it take to get results in a catastrophic injury cases?
- I don’t have a lot of money after my accident how am I going to afford an attorney?
- I don’t have a lot of money and work at a low paying job. How can I possibly afford to hire a personal injury lawyer?
- I was in a bad car accident and sustained serious injuries. Can an attorney help me get compensation for my medical bills?
- Should I accept the settlement offer from the insurance company after my accident?
- What am I supposed to do after being involved in an accident and I am badly injured?
- What are catastrophic injuries?
- What are special and general damages?
- What is a personal injury lawyer and why would I need one?
- What is the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury case in Texas?
- What kind of compensation am I eligible to receive by filing a personal injury claim?
- What kinds of accidents cause catastrophic injuries?
- What kinds of damages am I eligible for after an accident?
- What kinds of expenses could I claim after being injured in an accident?