The short answer here is, “Yes, hire an experienced personal injury attorney” because it protects you and your legal rights and can result in obtaining fair and equitable compensation for any injuries and damages incurred in a collision – or another type of accident.
You need to consider hiring skilled counsel because you cannot pursue a claim on your own for damages – and come out with a just amount of compensation. Unless you have an experienced car accident attorney, the insurance company is going to ride roughshod over you to get you to settle quickly and for a low amount.
There are several things that can happen if you do not have an experienced personal injury lawyer. First, the insurance company may try to quickly settle your claim by paying an unreasonably low amount before you understand how fully you are hurt. If you settle at that point, you are giving up your rights to make future claims once you understand how bad you’re hurt. And under Texas law, even an agreement over the phone can be enforceable, and you can give up your rights that way. Second, insurance companies may want to just delay your claim. The longer they hold onto your money, the longer they have it invested and the more investment income they earn off of your money. Finally, if you don’t have an experience personal injury lawyer, you don’t have the threat to file suit and take them to a jury trial. That is the ultimate bargaining power, and without an experience personal injury lawyer, you don’t have that power.
In the wake of a crash, insurance company lawyers and claims adjusters are already gathering evidence to use against you. They want to shift the liability to anyone else they can. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you gather that information on your behalf and can help you avoid making mistakes that might hurt the liability assessment or the claim about your damages.
At Schuelke Law, we understand how frightening an accident is and what it’s like to try and pull the pieces of your life back together. We’re here to help you every step of the way. Call us today for a free legal consultation.
Other Personal Injury FAQs:
- Are catastrophic injury cases different than personal injury lawsuits?
- Can I handle my personal injury claim without a lawyer?
- Can I still file a personal injury claim even if I was partially at fault?
- Can I wait to contact a personal injury lawyer?
- How do I know if I have a personal injury claim?
- How do you win a personal injury case in Texas?
- How does a victim of a catastrophic injury deal with insurance companies?
- How long does it take to get my case settled?
- How long does it take to get results in a catastrophic injury cases?
- I don’t have a lot of money after my accident how am I going to afford an attorney?
- I don’t have a lot of money and work at a low paying job. How can I possibly afford to hire a personal injury lawyer?
- I was in a bad car accident and sustained serious injuries. Can an attorney help me get compensation for my medical bills?
- If I file a personal injury claim, am I entitled to compensation for my injuries?
- My wife was killed by a drunk driver. Isn’t that a criminal matter? If so, why would I need a personal injury lawyer?
- Should I accept the settlement offer from the insurance company after my accident?
- Should I hire an experienced personal injury attorney after being involved in a serious accident?
- What am I supposed to do after being involved in an accident and I am badly injured?
- What are catastrophic injuries?
- What are special and general damages?
- What do comparative fault and the doctrine of proportionate responsibility mean?
- What do I do if the insurance company representative contacts me?
- What has to be proven in a personal injury case?
- What is a personal injury lawyer and how do I know if I need to hire one?
- What is a personal injury lawyer and why would I need one?
- What is a serious personal injury?
- What is the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury case in Texas?
- What kind of compensation am I eligible to receive by filing a personal injury claim?
- What kinds of accidents cause catastrophic injuries?
- What kinds of damages am I eligible for after an accident?
- What kinds of expenses could I claim after being injured in an accident?
- What types of personal injury claims are seen in Texas?
- When are injuries sustained in a car accident considered to be catastrophic?
- Why do I need a personal injury lawyer if the insurance company of the person who caused the accident I was in has offered me a settlement?
- Why would I need a personal injury lawyer for a minor accident and minor injuries?