Skip to content

If I file a personal injury claim, am I entitled to compensation for my injuries?

Yes, you are entitled to compensation for your injuries. Serious injuries can result in a permanent loss of wages. You are entitled to recover for those damages. You may also be able to recover the following damages, depending on the facts of the case:

  • Mental anguish
  • Pain and suffering
  • Physical impairment
  • Lost future wages
  • Property damage
  • Medical expenses
  • Rehabilitation costs
  • Compensation for disfigurement
  • Compensation for a permanent disability
  • Loss of companionship
  • Emotional distress

In a personal injury lawsuit, there are some caps or limits on how much damages a survivor can recover. Caps typically apply to economic damages (wages) or non-economic damages (suffering, pain). Caps in Texas are only applied in three types of cases: where government liability is involved if there is medical malpractice and in some lawsuits involving punitive/exemplary damages.

Generally, you have two years from the time of the accident to file a claim. It is strongly recommended that you act quickly because many cases have a shorter time limit. Even with the two-year limitation, you still want to act fast because the physical evidence of the accident, witness testimony and various necessary documentation needs to be collected as soon as possible in the aftermath of the collision. This helps to create a foundation for your case.

Other Personal Injury FAQs: