I slipped on the stairs of my co-worker’s house and hit my head. The doctor says I have a concussion and need to stay in hospital for a while. Can I recover compensation for my injuries?
Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you may be able to claim compensation for your injuries. You would be, if you chose to proceed, filing a premises liability claim, a claim made when you are injured by a dangerous condition on property belonging to someone else.
The most common type of premises liability claims happen as a result of a slip and fall. A slip and fall could happen almost anywhere, including a sidewalk, stairs, parking lot, airport or grocery store. The cause of the accident is often relevant when filing such a claim. For instance, was there a wet spot on the floor that had not been cleaned up, or icy stairs that had not been sanded or de-iced for safety?
The main question involved in premises liability lawsuits is whether or not the owner, manager or caretaker was aware of an existing dangerous situation and did not remedy the situation or post clear warning signs near the dangerous area. In other words, a premises liability lawsuit is a negligence claim against possessors of property, owners and operators, and is based on the failure to prevent injuries on the premises from dangerous hazards or conditions.
A successful plaintiff can obtain compensation for disfigurement, impairment, loss of earning capacity, damages, lost wages, future medical care bills, current medical care expenses, pain and mental anguish.
Other Premises Liability FAQs:
- A premises liability case mainly involves slip and fall accidents, right?
- Does a premises liability claim only deal with someone tripping, slipping and falling?
- I slipped and fell at the store. Why do I need a lawyer?
- I slipped on the stairs of my co-worker’s house and hit my head. The doctor says I have a concussion and need to stay in hospital for a while. Can I recover compensation for my injuries?
- If I slip in a puddle of liquid in a store, or other location, would that be considered a premises liability claim?
- What do I need to prove to be successful in a premises liability claim?
- Who is typically held responsible for a premises liability claim?
Holding Wrongdoers Accountable
Learn more about car insurance in Texas and what you can do to avoid common accident claim mistakes with these free resources.