In most instances, the dog owner’s insurance policy covers the damages. Most policies cover injuries caused by a homeowner’s pet and there are some policies that have special animal insurance coverage.
There are cases where a pet owner does not have insurance. However, they can still be held liable for an animal attack. If the dog’s owner is legally responsible/liable for your injuries, that means they are also responsible for damages. That said, if they do not have insurance, it will be more difficult to collect for your injuries.
Other Dog Bite FAQs:
- Are dog bites a common occurrence?
- Are dog bites common in Texas?
- Are the dog bite laws the same across Texas?
- Are there some common misconceptions about dog bite liability?
- Can you sue for a dog bite in Texas?
- Do I have to prove that the animal that attacked me is vicious?
- Do I have to prove the dog that attacked me was vicious?
- Do I need to take pictures after being bitten by a dog?
- How is liability for a dog bite established?
- How long does it take for a dog bite case to get to/go through court?
- I think the dog that bit me might have rabies. What do I do now?
- I was bitten by a dog the other day and needed stitches. Who is responsible/liable for the dog biting me?
- My mother witnessed a dog attack and someone said there was a possibility of filing a bystander claim. Is that possible?
- My neighbor’s dog bit me and he accused me of provoking the canine. Does that mean I don’t have a lawsuit?
- What am I supposed to do if I get bitten by a dog?
- What are the most common factors showing a dog owner knew or should have known their animal may be vicious?
- What are the worst injuries sustained during a dog attack?
- What compensation can I recover in a dog bite case?
- What do I do if a dog bites me?
- What happens if a dog not previously regarded as dangerous bites me?
- What is the current law in Texas in regard to dog bites?
- Who are usually the victims of dog bites?
- Who is responsible for paying damages in a dog bite case?
- Who responsible for paying any damages after the dog attack?