While many states have a one-bite rule, which means that an owner cannot be held liable for a dog’s attack unless the dog has a history of biting another person, Texas does not follow this law.
Texas does not have a one-bite rule. Instead, there are two primary claims made against owners in dog bite cases. The most common claim is a negligence claim. Like in other personal injury claims, for a negligence claim, you must prove that the dog owner (or person responsible for the dog) failed to use ordinary care, and that the failure to use ordinary care caused your injuries.
The second and most common claim is that the dog owner failed to use ordinary care by failing to properly restrain the dog. In fact, many local governments in Texas, including both the city of Austin and Travis County, have laws requiring dog owners to have their dogs restrained at all times (though the City of Austin has some exceptions for recognized dog parks).
If you have been injured by a dog, bitten, knocked down or mauled you may be able to seek compensation for your losses. These may include the typical costs of medical care and loss of earnings, and pain and mental anguish.
Other Dog Bite FAQs:
- Are dog bites a common occurrence?
- Are dog bites common in Texas?
- Are the dog bite laws the same across Texas?
- Are there some common misconceptions about dog bite liability?
- Can you sue for a dog bite in Texas?
- Do I have to prove that the animal that attacked me is vicious?
- Do I need to take pictures after being bitten by a dog?
- How is liability for a dog bite established?
- How long does it take for a dog bite case to get to/go through court?
- I think the dog that bit me might have rabies. What do I do now?
- I was bitten by a dog the other day and needed stitches. Who is responsible/liable for the dog biting me?
- My mother witnessed a dog attack and someone said there was a possibility of filing a bystander claim. Is that possible?
- My neighbor’s dog bit me and he accused me of provoking the canine. Does that mean I don’t have a lawsuit?
- What am I supposed to do if I get bitten by a dog?
- What are the most common factors showing a dog owner knew or should have known their animal may be vicious?
- What are the worst injuries sustained during a dog attack?
- What compensation can I recover in a dog bite case?
- What happens if a dog not previously regarded as dangerous bites me?
- What is the current law in Texas in regard to dog bites?
- Who are usually the victims of dog bites?
- Who is responsible for paying damages in a dog bite case?