Skip to content

I was T-boned by a drunk driver. Can I file a lawsuit?

If the at fault driver was drunk, they are most likely going to be arrested and charged with DWI. This means that your lawsuit would be considered to be a criminal case. However, if you are an injured victim, you may also be able to file a civil claim (personal injury lawsuit) against the negligent drunk driver. Your car accident attorney would need to successfully prove the drunk driver was negligent and that the negligence caused the accident and caused your injuries.

Personal injury lawsuits may also be filed against bars, restaurants, etc., for serving an individual drinks when they knew that person was drunk and planning to drive or continued to serve such an individual when they were excessively intoxicated and bring the action under the dram shop liability laws.

Other Car Accident FAQs: