Skip to content

I was involved in a car accident. The other driver had no insurance. What do I do now?

There is nothing worse than being in a car accident and finding out the other driver has no insurance or does not have enough insurance to deal with the damages. If that happens, you may still have a source of recovery if you purchased uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance coverage as part of your own policy.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is so important that Texas law requires your insurance company to give it to you unless you specifically reject it in writing. The coverage applies to both personal injury damages and property damage. For personal injuries, the coverage will cover all of the losses you could recover from the other driver — medical expenses, lost earnings, pain, mental anguish, physical impairment and disfigurement. For property damage claims, the coverage will cover the cost to repair your vehicle or replace your vehicle if it is totaled.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance doesn’t just cover when the other driver doesn’t have any insurance; it also covers when the other driver has insurance, but not enough insurance to fully compensate you for your losses.

If you do not know if you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you can ask your agent or take your policy to an experienced Austin car accident lawyer who can sort that out for you. 

People ask me this question a lot when talking about car accidents. “Who needs uninsured motorist coverage?” The answer is, everyone who gets behind the wheel of a vehicle could need it. This is because you never know if the person who hit you has insurance or enough insurance to compensate you for your damages and injuries. If you are involved in a hit-and-run, uninsured motorist coverage pays if the other driver cannot be located. This is important to protect you and your family. The liability insurance you purchase protects others, but uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage protects you and your family.

When buying uninsured motorist coverage, you can add more uninsured and underinsured coverage in increments of $5,000. Try to at least add enough property damage coverage to replace your vehicle.

In general, it is a good idea to have uninsured motorist coverage and underinsured motorist coverage if you want to recover damages and compensation for your injuries. 

If you have questions about how this works in the event of a crash, feel free to contact me for an in-depth explanation.

Other Car Accident FAQs: