Skip to content

I was in a car accident and do not know what to do about my vehicle insurance. Do I call my insurance company and the other driver’s insurance company?

There are typically two insurance companies involved in getting claims settled after there has been an accident. The first insurance company is the one that the driver of the other car has his or her insurance with. They are not your friends and there is no obligation to speak to them. In fact, it is best that you do not, and leave that to your auto accident attorney.

The statute of limitations in Texas auto accident is two years. You do not have to speak to the other party’s insurance company or put them on notice of a claim until two years after the collision. To get the matter resolved, it is best to contact them at some point. Your attorney can assist you with this.

The other insurance company involved in your car accident is your own and you need to alert them as soon as possible. The same day is preferable, if possible, and explain what happened and what caused the crash. By calling them, you are going to be asked to make a statement on what happened, who was injured, and who caused the crash. You have to speak to your own insurance company because if you do not, they can deny your claim and allege they do not have to pay you anything under your policy.

When you purchase car insurance, you sign a contract that outlines the obligations you and the insurance company are expected to live up to in order to claim benefits.

The first thing to do after a car accident is contact your insurance company as soon as you can, then contact an attorney to find out what your legal rights are and how to file a claim.

Other Auto Accident FAQs: