Skip to content

Don't settle for less

no fee unless you win

What if the other driver doesn't have enough insurance?

Today’s question for the car wreck property damage video series is, “What if the other driver doesn’t have enough insurance?” Unfortunately, this is a question that you ought to addres before a wreck, because after a wreck, there’s not much you can do.

What should I do if the owner of the car that hit me didn’t have enough insurance?

This is really a question that you need to think about, or hopefully thought about, before you were in a wreck. At that point, if the owner doesn’t have enough insurance, it is likely that your best option for a recovery is to have uninsured or under insured motorist coverage.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is coverage that you purchase on your own automobile policy that will cover and protect you and your vehicle in the event that the other driver doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance. It is critical when you buy insurance, to buy UM or UIM coverage.

This is insurance that protects you. It is largely inexpensive and it can prevent disaster situations in the long run. So I urge you, if you have not been in a wreck, to consider looking at the possibility of purchasing underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage. It is the most important insurance that you can purchase for your car, in my opinion, because it protects you and your family, instead of other members on the road.

Holding Wrongdoers Accountable

Learn more about car insurance in Texas and what you can do to avoid common accident claim mistakes with these free resources.


Brooks was wonderful to work with. I highly recommend him.

- – Miriam Keaton