A brain injury is much like it sounds, an injury to some part of the brain.
There are a number of types of brain injuries. The most common type of head injury is a concussion. A concussion is caused by trauma to the head or by sudden movement or change in movement of the head. In the personal injury setting, concussions can be caused by a blow to the head, such as a head hitting a steering wheel or hitting the ground after a fall, but also from a change of movement, such as a whiplash type of injury. While many of us are desensitized to the term “concussion” because of their frequency in some sports, concussions can be very serious. In many cases, it may take months or even years for a concussion to heal.
A contusion is a bruise or bleeding on the brain. Brain contusions are most often caused by direct blows to the head.
In a coup-contraeoup contusion, the brain suffers a contusion on the side of the head that suffered the blow and on the other side of the head when the brain slams back into the skull.
Other Brain Injury FAQs
- Are concussions a form of brain injury?
- Are concussions a form of brain injury? My son plays a lot of football and hockey.
- Are traumatic brain injuries common?
- Brain Injury Symptoms — Blog Series
- Do the airbags and seat belts car manufacturers install in vehicles help prevent or minimize traumatic brain injury sustained in a collision?
- Does everyone go through the same therapy to recover from traumatic brain injury?
- How are brain injuries rated by doctors?
- How Can A Head Injury Be Treated?
- How do people with brain trauma recover?
- If a person sustains a severe traumatic brain injury, how much functional ability can he or she recover?
- My doctor says I have a brain stem injury. What does that mean?
- My doctor says my husband will have neurobehavioral problems after his head trauma. What does that mean?
- What Are The Effects Of A Brain Injury?
- What Is A Brain Injury?
- What kinds of cognitive problems may present themselves in a person with traumatic brain injury?
- What types of injuries can cause traumatic brain injury?