State Tells Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Insurance Companies To Change Their Practices

I’ve been meaning to post on this, but haven’t had the time.

Last week, the Texas Department of Insurance issued a new bulletin telling insurance companies that many of them needed to change the way they sold uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

You can buy UM/UIM insurance that covers both bodily injury (personal injury claims) and property damage (damage to your car).  Many insurance companies were selling these coverages together — to buy one, you had to buy both.  This was a good deal for the insurance companies.  People with older cars may not need uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage for their cars, but they were being forced to buy it if they wanted to buy uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage to cover injuries. 

The new bulletin changed that.  The Department of Insurance instructed insurance companies to separate the coverages.  They are now required to allow consumers to purchase one coverage without purchasing both coverages. 

This should help a number of consumers purchase uninsured/underinsured coverage for bodily injury claims so that they’re protected in automobile collisions.

If you have questions about a potential uninsured/underinsured motorist claim, please call us at (512)476-4944.

Schuelke Law maintains offices in Austin, Texas. However, our attorneys and lawyers represent clients throughout the state of Texas, including Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Forth Worth, El Paso, New Braunfels, San Marcos, Kyle, Buda, Round Rock, Georgetown, Lockhart, Bastrop, Elgin, Manor, Brenham, Cedar Park, Burnet, Marble Falls, Temple and Killeen. By Brooks Schuelke

Law Firm Website by CLM Grow